12.31.2007

Santaland Motive

As much as I have been ranting playfully about my Santaland tryouts, there was a very important point that drove the entire mission. It was a simple idea that I hoped would be true. Having just navigated one of the worst years of my life, I decided to give every ounce of hope, compassion and joy to a group of strangers. Maybe by focusing wholeheartedly on bettering the human condition, I would also better my own condition. I needed to remind myself and all those around me that it was ok to dream. I needed to remind myself that even when I felt like I had nothing, I held the ultimate gift, the ability to inspire.

So I used that inspiration in every way possible. I encourged stressed Fathers to join their families, I sweet talked jaded school kids into being a better friend. I asked eight year old girls to cut themselves some slack and to be happy about what they look like rather than wishing desperately for blue eyes. More important than the inspired talks was the listening part. I managed to share enough of myself to allow people to let their own guard down and talk. So I listened and listened like the big man himself.

Today I poked my head in my favorite thrift store to continue my mission of outfitting myself for the city workforce. On the wall were three things of note. First a print of Mr Luther King Jr where he noted to live up to your calling no matter what that calling is. He referenced that if you are called to be a streetsweeper, be the best one you can be. Next to it was a needlepoint noting that sometimes in persuit of a dream, another dream takes flight. And lastly there was a linen angel that was stained and simply marked "as is." There was a poetry there for me to see.

I like to think that I gave it my all this holiday season. I dug deep and gave of myself, trusting the world even after a year of loss. I walked away with the ultimate gift, a co-worker turned friend. That was my gift from Santa, a friend that accepts you for who you are. Thanks Santa.

2 comments:

Cally said...

Popping in to wish you a happy new year, truly, a happy one.
'07 has been a write-off for so many people I know, certainly one of my worst ever, but also good in that i navigated it better than i have in the past. it's nice to notice our abilities to handle things instead of giving ourselves a hard time for not doing brilliantly.

i have really enjoyed your tales of santaland, of graduation, of inspiring and giving to others, and of getting a true friend out of it - the best gift ever.

oh, and glad you have found marjojo, i read her blog often on the same days as yours. you both that awe inspiring way of writing that i am moved by just as much as by the visuals. and that intense obsessive way of working that inspires me not to give up when things are shit. you are both the masters of dealing with difficulty in the most creative ways.

so again, i hope that this year is better, better for all of us. be well anna, hope the cold is clearing, i've got one threatening so i'm munching down garlic and echinacea like candy. x

Anonymous said...

Delightful conversations we had over diner coffee reminded me that courage comes in all forms. The fact that you have the ability to share and allow others to be themselves is likewise very freeing.

Sometimes people find it truly difficult just to be themselves without fear.

You and your art traveled the world on your own. Being a true free spirit, like yourself, and following your heart takes a tremendous amount of courage.
Kudos to you!

Your,
Secret Santa

P.S. The freedom you have within your art also reminds me that the destination, in life, is the learning throughout the journey.