4.11.2007

Acts of Labor as Performance

Spirit House, Anna Peach, 2003-2005, 600 found doilies


It is always a bit of a risk to ask a community for quotes about your artwork, especially if that community feels as though you abandoned them. That is how I have spent my morning trying to figure out who the newspaper should contact. They cornered the curator, but now I am facing the ultimate test, someone not connected to the art community. It puts you in a strange situation, having a third party asking them to speak about you, and then knowing that whatever they say goes to print without you clearing it first. I guess it is about control, or the lack of it. My storefront project was a little like the circus coming to town, but not everyone likes circuses, and not everyone is happy when they leave. Many of the people were a little angry thinking I abandoned them to go seek fortune in big glamorous Switzerland. Fact is that I am living in an even smaller community, and Switzerland is another island minus the ring of water. The biggest difference is that I babble in German unable to communicate effectively. Or shall I say I babble in German worse than I babble in English.

Control is the issue that comes up time and time again for me. Much of my work involves acts of performance that are obsessive, using hour upon hour of labor. Maybe in those many days that grew into years the work actually did become a part of the community. I like to think it did. Although I was in many ways able to control the making of the piece, I was completely unable to control the interactions that at times were confrontational on their part, nor could I control the publicity that followed. For as many days that I spent moping about being mistreated by tipsy tourists, or made fun of by the Hawaiian shrit wearing land developer, I have to say I miss it, and I only wish I would have made the video of the harrassment.

I have been looking at an office room in a converted barn in the village where I now reside. They painted the old stone building mustard yellow for some reason. I wonder about another "storefront" project. This time I could or would not communicate. The other part of me enjoys the ability to be mobile, to take my performace labors into the world. I have started working again on a piece of camo that is altered through my handtying pieces of earthtoned Hawaiian shirts. I think of it as my blanket of insecurity. Monday, I pulled it across my garden table and watched the holiday hikers come to a halt. I was reminded of how light and portible the piece is, and how it could travel on my back, on trains like the Swiss Military. There is something really disturbing about making homemade camouflage, and the act of cutting shirts and hand tying them only adds to it. Maybe that is my summer project, more random and mobile. A summer of fun and fines, I presume.

5 comments:

Lena said...

hi anna,
i saw work in FiberArts a while ago and was in awe of your doily pieces. thanks for reading my blog! it's amazing how my blog connects me with so many artists whose work i admire.

best,
lena

Lena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lena said...

ha, ha... i'm making one typo after another this morning...

Cally said...

Hi Anna, looks like I am not going to be getting to my own Mac to do proper emails for a while, so, if it's ok with you, I'd like to just go ahead and do my post on you cause I can't bear to think of anyone missing out on these wonderful posts for one more minute!

My heart skips a beat everytime you show me this piece and I still find it hard to conceive of anyone in Hawaii having anything but wonderful words to say about you. And hey, the HCC conference opportunity - you see, they want you even when you are on another continent, such is the power of your work.

The cammouflage piece sounds so relevant given what we've been talking about in our emails.

So, I'll prepare the post and if you want you can check it before it goes out (eek, embarassing for me as I can't write).

I think your shirt sewing may feature in my dreams tonight.

Seo Kim said...

your dresses are gorgeous!!