2.01.2011

Spring Nesting Project Discovered

Mexican House Finch nest (photographed in Winter) a collaboration between the finches and myself. Nest created using synthetic and natural fibers.
New York, NY

This past Spring, I began to interact with the wildlife in my area while allowing that interaction to be as natural as possible. I had noticed a pair of Mexican House Finches that had wanted to nest in the palm tree in my apartment. They were chirping to each other as they eyed the tree through the glass window. It was clear that the two were out looking for a home. It was equally clear that my room was filled with sculptures that mimic the environments that wildlife are looking for. It dawned on me that we could work together and build a nest.


Now building a nest is no small task, so I left the building to the experts, the finches themselves. I became one of many neighborhood material providers. Some providers, like the workers at a nearby construction site were probably unaware that the finches were raiding their discarded rope and strapping materials. I was equally unaware of their other sources until I noticed their nest after a big snowfall this past January.


I began by collecting up all of the pieces of natural fibers that I had discarded in my studio. Bits of linen and silk thread, wool yarn and the like. I made a hanging sock out of a length of women's nylons that I also use in my work. Week after week seemed to go by and all I could hear were their chirping nearby. I decided to add other fluffier materials that could charm a finch. I loaded additional materials to the existing fibers, this time adding Spanish moss, and some eco packing materials made from recycled wood. The sock was now overstuffed with a great variety of materials and it worked it's magic.


Several pairs of Mexican House Finches began appearing at my window to raid the goods. There was an Alpha pair (the reddest male who has managed to gorge himself on the most red berries and turn himself brighter red than the rest) and two other pairs. What I had not considered was that the finches saw my early sock offering and probably decided on their nesting site due to the materials. When I heard them chirping nearby, they were building the base of the nest from the construction materials. My supplies provided the inner nest materials.


I managed to capture a bit of video of the Alfa Finch as he raided the goods. This was no small task, because he is quite adept at making a very quick raid. (I am currently editing this video clip for presentation later. ) The Summer came and went, and what I did not realize, due to the thick leaf cover, was that the finches raised their offspring about fifteen feet from my window.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was looking out my window when I spotted a blotch of snow suspended in the tree. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it was the nest containing the materials from my "nest helper" sock along with a great variety of other materials. I was, and continue to be quite happy with our collaboration.

The finch's ability to adapt to their changing world allowed them to make a fabulous storm proof nest. Will they reuse the nest? I doubt it, but I am not entirely sure. Most birds start from scratch every year. Which gives us a good reason to collaborate once again this next May.







1 comment:

Cally said...

Anna, she of the icey plunge, was great to get your comment today. I had promised to let my main blog pals know if I posted again but found myself unable to just cut and oaste a note (ended up reading everyone's pages upon visiting) so by the time I'd reached the tenth person I'd been reading for days and ended up having another M.E. crash, still in it just now so I'm going to be brief (by my standards) and just say that I really miss having the energy and brain to read your blog, and others, anymore but it was a delight to come here and read that not only are you still braving the cold water for the kids, but you are collaborating with the finches. Me too! I wee family set up under the edge of my roof a few years ago and have steadily grown. I leave little piles of my wool insulation and threads/yarn in the hope that they make use. I can't see the nest but the materials are definitely being taken by someone with roof access - lovely.

Today was my first day out of bed this month and I managed to get out in the garden in time to watch a double rainbow appear against the slate grey/purple sky with seagulls wheeling around like tiny flashing mirrors. 3 minutes later the wind doubled and a torrent of hail hit me. After a month of being stuck in bed with almost no view it felt amazing to have all this vivid intensity around me, my senses were all stretching again. So alive.

------------
I had a wee snooze there and on coming back read another of your psts, 'Write on a Full Stomach'. Really identified with that one so let me be someone on the outside to say WEL DONE for looking after yourself. It's so vital, particularly when you've been giving to others but not getting what you needed back. I ran off to Canada in the 90's because I didn't have the energy to deal with people's outrage that I'd stopped being their shoulder to cry on. I really think getting that breathing space stopped my M.E. getting extreme. If only I'd done the same this time round, home ownership has it's drawbacks.

Didn't I say I'd keep this brief. No self control. But I'm just so excited to have dipped back into your world for half an hour and to know that your art is still in you even though you've been in survival mode.

And...I couldn't help myself, popped in to your other blog for a mini peak and got sucked in by Weatherproofing yourself (lots of that going on here - partly eco, partly necessity) and then by Emu oil.

I still remember my muffler burn in Turkey.OUCH I thought it was just me so I feel slightly less foolish to know I was not alone in that injury. I'm veggie (feta stops me being vegan) but I too would have welcomed a French fireman bearing Emu Oil. Instead I used fresh yogurt and honey which is my go-to cure for so many things, often with garlic in it. Took away the heat of the burn and there's no scar so I guess it worked long term too.

Oh dear, just realised that it's 1.20am, how on earth did that happen?

Be well Anna, as always you inspire me to stay true to what I love to do. Here's to our art and our environment and our feathered friends. Cx