4.27.2009

Monkey Town Sceening with Movement Research

This past Friday, my video "Convergence" was screened at Monkey Town in Williamsburg, Brooklyn thanks to the enthusiastic people at Movement Research. I was very impressed with the beautiful screening room that they created (think low white lounge couches that had the exquisite feel upscale bean bags) You could just sink into the experience, which is just what I needed. Comprised of four surround screens, which can play one video on all screens (as they did at the festival) or a different video on each. My mind lit up at the thought of the later. I have to say that I would propose my vivid underwater works if given another chance. The fractured, pixilated, shot through a piece of Chrystal video became a little too zen for it's own good. Pale and luminous rather than rich multi layered, projection changes everything. But what a way to get out of the starting gate with my new medium of video. Four giant wall sized screens and super projectors beaming my work about, it is hard to imagine a second act. But of course the second act is soon to follow (in three weeks to be exact.) Subtlety will again be key. The work "Anemone" will be part of the next festival. Shot as an installation on the floor of the Pacific ocean, the "Anemone" will come to life on stage through performance, dance, video and costume. I feel a long way from Honoka'a...

No comments: