10.10.2008

Modern Art Timeline




Moeraki, by Anna Peach, mixed media on canvas,36x24"

Shifting into autumn, my motivation also calms and returns me to sculpture and painting. The hot, busy summer days that overexposed my video and left me bobbing neck deep in all waters, glamorous or otherwise are now drawn to a close. It was this shift in time that has me reexamining my finds in New York. I went out searching for inspiration and found it discarded in my neighborhood in the form of a stained, but gorgeous moment from Pop Art History. My neighbor decided to ditch a 4x5 foot painting by an artist who would become internationally known just three years after setting down the paintbrush with the completion of this work. He became an OP Artist who really invented the installation art movement. Somehow, my neighbor spilled something like coffee down the entire minimalist work. I had wanted to rob it of the stretcher bars, beautifully made of maple. But then I realized that I loved the art. It is a fragment in the Modern Art continuium that set the stage for artists like myself. So out of respect for all artists, I am momentarily swiching hats to be a part time art conservator, and just go back to buying my own stretchers for the sake of history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi anna, i guess it has been a long time. we still talk about the fun we had ,i hope you haen"t forgotten us here in pouch cove, jonathan and penny patten. jonathan has great news, he finally got his pony.