1.13.2008

The River Holds the Memory of Light

Underwater video still from The River Holds the Memory of Light by me, Anna P... camera was repeatedly cast in to the Hudson, swept to the bottom in a current and recast. The video subject is the light refraction that diminishes as the camera is swept away from the sun. When played at 1/4 speed in reverse, the camera travels to the light.

It started with a sarcastic comment about finding beauty in the Hudson, but I took it on this week and began my first body of video work in NYC. It all began with a Sotheby's search when I was trying to date the still-life painting that I found. I discovered the work of the Hudson River Valley School who painted with romantic sweeps of light. I thought about how the Hudson was consistently abused and how an entire community fights to bring it back. As I filmed I was surrounded by whispered comments of potential fish life and the continued recovery that it makes. The Hudson is more than a river here in New York, it is a friend. This friend has seen its darkest hour, and now it is on its way back. I know from my own experience that you are most aware of the light as you enter the darkness. This river still holds the memory of light.

No comments: