4.24.2007

Necessary changes



I am preparing to move throughout the world once again. It is necessary for me to gain perspective on the changes I must make and to truly face myself. That has always been my way to work things through. Take away the familiar and all that remains is yourself. It is very hard to overlook problems when you strip all else away. I began sorting my things and came across my journals. How far I have moved away from them. They were like those rocks in the earlier post, constant and strong. I decided today to post a travel journal entry from a few years ago.

August 12, 1999
Isle of the birds
Cook Islands

I stand against the clean white counter. Three flames burn, two candles and one beneath the kettle. The power blew again, my secret wish granted. Voices coming from the darkness. Crickets. My painting earned itself a candle. A vigil. The whole house is mine for just one night. Then they will come alone or in pairs, together or separate. Filling these six rooms with strange voices. Asking the same questions in different ways. Pulling me out of the cavern and into the light. The generator kicks in returning life to how it was. I reach for the light switch, turning them back off.

2 comments:

rc-d said...

the usefulness of kept journals over weblogs.
they are opened by "mistake"
they show one the stages of life being modified.

Cally said...

you are a true poet anna, what an utterly beautiful piece of writing.