3.22.2007

Memoirs of an Artist Relocation

It seems like I have spent most of my life trying to attatch or detatch myself from places, but I never do very well at either. It takes me a long time to be inspired by a new home base, and this time is no exception. Switzerland in all its beauty and approachability in scale should be easy. But as six months have passed and I have created very little new work, I am beginning to wonder. My belongings just arrived after four and a half months at sea and then being mislabeled in a warehouse in England, where they sat and sat for another month before they pieced it together that those were the boxes in question. As an artist you always think about those things. How would it feel to suddenly have nearly all of your lifetime of work disappear. Since I am independent of a gallery, I am the one throwing my work in a box in the storeroom rather than the gallery doing it on my behalf. I have a haphazard list of some of the people that have my work in their collections. I know which pieces are currently being shown, and which ones were destroyed in a fit of fire or composting. Composting was a reluctant, but necessary part of the last move due to my use of hemp fibre that is supposed to be illegal in Switzerland. Hemp was my new fibre love in Hawaii due to the fact that it did not mold or mildew...probably the only thing in the whole state that could claim that title. But it is the composting that I regret because several of the things that were supposed to be banned ended up clearing customs in fine shape, including the seeded works that I took to the US Department of Agriculture to have them inspected. Wish I could have brought my camera in for that one! Sitting in an overly air conditioned box in Hilo airport holding a black seeded bustier as the nervous inspector repeatedly mistyped Sweden insted of Switzerland as he searched for plant importing requirements. Probably the only day anyone has ever broke a sweat in that icy office. So this bustier is now officially dedicated to the outstanding USDA Inspectors who helped me bring these works half way around the world. May they be inspired!

2 comments:

rc-d said...

blog blog blog...
doesn't anyone write letters anymore?

Cally said...

I can't even find the words...
That must have been tough, having to compost such beautiful work. I'm so glad some made it through, bet the guy was baffled about inspecting them.

And you mentioned fire, did you video the ones that got burnt? I imagine it like some ancient ritual, like a viking burial or something.

I still mourn the loss of my best most personal work that I ever made, which never made it back from Canada to Scotland. It was before digital cameras and I didn't have enough money to take anymore photo's so I have no record except for one blurry photo of one piece.

That's why I love digital and obsessively photograph now. So glad you missing boxes arrived eventually.