3.26.2007

Marking Our Territory

Kids are great except when they decide to use your flower garden for snowboarding. I tried very hard to overlook the fact that the neighbor boy uses our garden for his activities…so what is a little bike riding, tree climbing, rock throwing, mud slinging, and window peeking every once in a while. Although I tried to focus on my excitement about the newly fallen snow, I couldn’t overlook the fact that with the weekend approaching and my crocus in full bloom…we were in trouble. After a full three hours of attack there were no flowers left, the tranquility nowhere to be found. The only way to fight back against an eleven year old is to use my ultimate weapon…a much… much later bedtime. I crept out into the night with my double-gloved hands and did the unthinkable: I rolled up all the snow, and I mean all of it. I made two giant snowmen. I nearly fell backwards twice while trying to lift the colossal snowballs but I didn’t care. What is a week in the hospital in the big scheme of things?
To top things off I had to swat the neighbor cat on the butt when he had my feral Hawaiian cat in a death roll on the former crocus bed, leaving my cat limping on three legs. So that is it, the line has been crossed and we are not going to be bullied anymore. So think of me what you will, but its not like there is any shortage of hills in Switzerland. My cat is still ticked after circumnavigating the globe in a Sherpa bag so watch out neighborhood, the tulips are coming and this time we are ready.

1 comment:

Cally said...

Brilliant!
I've had many a late night snowball rolling session, but never with such a big incentive, good for you. Like you say, it's not like he can't get any snow around there.

Poor Blue, hope that leg is ok now. I always wonder if cats have different languages,the way we do, when they are from different continents?